NOTE: These are strange times in which we find ourselves and I’m conscious that with so much going on “normal” life feels like a distant memory. This episode was recorded before the full impact of Covid-19 was clear so it isn’t mentioned during our conversation. I know that, for me at least, listening to podcasts on normal life is a welcome respite from the rolling news conference we are currently living through. Hence why I am publishing this episode now, I hope it may help others to have a temporary escape at least.
In this week’s episode I’m delighted to chatting to Katie Robbins from KT Robbins Ceramics. Katie started out as a marketeer, working in a corporate role in PR, before taking a break to be at home with her kids. In search of a creative outlet she tried out a variety of classes before discovering a joy in pottery, specifically porcelain pottery. Now she fills her days doing something she loves – making beautiful vases, mugs and candle-holders from her home studio.
It’s like it’s where I always should have been, but I never knew it.
What we talked about:
- The chance discovery of a teacher who inspired her love of porcelain
- Identifying the parts of her old career that she loved, even if she didn’t want to return to that job
- The challenge of being brave enough to walk away from a job that you’re not happy in
- Having confidence in yourself when you put products out there
- The importance of marketing yourself and what you do
- As much as you love your kids, it’s ok to say you need something for yourself as well
- Telling your story on Instagram and supporting others as well
Links Mentioned In This Episode
- Katie on Instagram – @ceramicmagpie
- Nurture & Thrive community with Josephine Brooks
- Playing Big by Tara Mohr
- This is Marketing by Seth Godin
- Being Heard Episode 10 with Becky Avery
- My Instagram – @thehappysideof40
- My website – www.thehappysideof40.com
Pin for Later